PROJECT – ALEKON CARGO
Alekon Cargo OÜ — is a state of the art provider of forwarding services, storage and warehousing services and handling of all types of cargo. Built in 2007 – 08 the Alekon Cargo Logistics Hub, located in Tallinn, Estonia, is a state of the art logistics centre incorporating road, rail and port services over a 12.5-hectare site.
The complex is equipped with warehouses, covered and open storage areas, three railway tracks and high-performance warehousing and cargo handling equipment. Warehousing and Storage Facilities on site Include;
- 90,000 m2 customs terminal area (75% monolithic concrete surfacing, 25% asphalt)
- 9,000 m2 warehouse with 12 m high shelf stands and 15,000 standard pallet capacity
- 7,000 m2 warehouse with 12,000 standard pallet capacity and 16t capacity overhead cranes
- 3,500 TEU container yard
- 22,000 m2 parking yard for freight motor transport
- 3 railway branches with 1.3 km of total frontage.
The cargo handling machinery fleet on site included;
- 30 tonne capacity gantry crane
- 45 tonne capacity reach stacker for containers and equipment
- 9 lift trucks with up to 16 tonne capacity
- Fork lift trucks with lifting capacities of 1.5 to 4.5 tonnes
- Electric stacker
- Special electric lift truck with side grippers for handling tyres, paper drums, pulp etc.
Reinforced with BarChip Synthetic Fiber
BarChip structural synthetic fiber was used as the sole reinforcement in over 40,000 m2 of the Logistic Hub’s concrete flooring;
|Dose Rate||7 kg/m3||5 kg/m3|
|Slab Thickness||180 mm||150 mm|
By incorporating the use of Barchip’s synthetic fiber reinforcement, flooring contractors Savekate were able to realise a number of benefits;
- Eliminated the placement, storage and transport of steel mesh
- Increased durability and eliminated the risk of corrosion. Barchip’s synthetic fiber is inert and will never rust.
- Increased concrete toughness
- Increased on-site productivity
- Reduced overall costs
- Improved temperature and shrinkage crack control
Since construction in 2007 – 08 the concrete flooring has performed perfectly. The selection of BarChip synthetic fiber as the primary concrete reinforcement eliminated significant man hours during construction and since construction in 2008 there have been no maintenance or serviceability issues with the BarChip reinforced concrete sections.